Living with diabetes is not just about diabetes – it is about living. Being aware of the following things can help you to stay healthy and happy.
- Be knowledgeable about diabetes and your own body.
- Understand how diabetes and its daily stresses can affect people and how this affects you personally.
- Communicate with others about the fears of diabetes complications and how to continue to live the best life possible, should complications arise.
- Build a support system and be gentle on yourself.
- Understand what you can do about reducing the stress- in life and in relation to diabetes, and how to effectively cope with the stress that you cannot take away.
- Work out the goals, wishes, expectations you hold in life.
- Find out what motivates you.
- Build in regular relaxation and rest/peaceful times.
- Make time to just “be”.
- Deep relaxation/ meditation are wonderful in overall well-being & work against the physical effects of stress.
- Talk to other people – get support and make connections
Indulge in activities that make you happy- music, dancing, walking, exercise, gardening, socializing – anything that for you provides mental, emotional and physical relaxation and enjoyment.
- Develop a purpose in your life and do more in your life than just worry about diabetes.
- Develop your spiritual side.
- Cultivate and use your sense of humour – laughter is a great remedy!
- Be clear to others about your expectations
- Get professional help and counselling for problems that are difficult to tackle.
A healthy and relaxed “heart, head and body” is more likely to allow you to stay on the road with your diabetes – it is a life long journey!
E177 – Living with Diabetes – www.diabetic.today