Slim and loose 7 Pounds/3 kilos, without giving up your favourite foods, thanks to our nutritionist.
HOW DOES IT WORK? With this clever slim menu plan, you can eat treats occasionally, but because you’re cutting down on overall calories, you’ll still lose weight. You’re more likely to stick to this diet too, as you won’t feel deprived. Many of the sweet foods listed, also contain vitamins, fibre and minerals, so you’re getting more out of them, than just empty calories, but best practices limits these to one a day.
- Pick one breakfast, lunch and dinner and choose a single selection from the treats and snacks list, too.
- Drink 300ml of skimmed milk , every day, either on its own or as part of other drinks.
- Walk 10,000 steps a day. This usually means moving around for at least an hour-and-a-half a day (you don’t have to do it in one go). Use a tracker like a Fitbit to count your steps accurately. Activity helps your body process the sugar in your bloodstream better.
BREAKFASTS (Choose from)
- 1 pack of All-Bran Breakfast Biscuits and 1 small banana.
- 1 slice of wholemeal toast spread with 1 teaspoon jam and a level tablespoon peanut butter. Plus 1 apple.
- 1 slice wholemeal toast topped with 2 grilled tomatoes and 1 medium poached egg. Plus a 150ml glass of fresh juice.
- 1 pot of instant oats, a teaspoon of syrup (maple or honey), with a large handful of blueberries and raspberries.
- 1 small wholemeal or granary roll, filled with 1 grilled reduced-fat sausage and 1 medium sliced tomato. Plus a 150ml glass of fresh juice.
- A blueberry smoothie. Blend a cup of blueberries with 200ml skimmed milk and 100gm fat-free strawberry yogurt. Plus 1 slice of wholemeal toast spread with 1 teaspoon of low-fat spread and Marmite (optional).
LUNCHES (Choose from)
- l medium-sized jacket potato topped with a handful of prawns mixed with l tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise. Plus a chopped tomato and cucumber side salad, plus a kiwi fruit.
- A large (200g) tray of mixed fish sushi.
- 1 cooked skinless chicken breast, sliced, mixed salad and 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise in a wholemeal pitta.
- A 120g can of sardines on a slice of wholemeal toast, served with a big pile of watercress.
- Frozen mini-size cheese and tomato pizza with a large fresh green salad and 1 tablespoon fat-free dressing.
- A 300-calorie shop-bought sandwich. Plus a piece of fresh fruit.
- Half a carton of fresh vegetable soup with a slice of wholemeal toast. Plus a 125g pot of low-fat fruit yogurt.
DINNERS (Choose from)
- 1 grilled lean lamb chop with gravy made from granules, 2 new potatoes, carrots and green veg. Plus a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream with 100g frozen berries.
- Black bean chicken stir-fry. Stir-fry a skinless chicken breast in 1 teaspoon of oil, add green pepper, onion, cabbage, mushrooms and broccoli. When tender, add 3 tablespoon black bean sauce and heat through. Serve with 2 tablespoon rice. Plus a pot of toffee yogurt.
- A grilled salmon fillet (i40g) with 4 tablespoons cooked lemon and coriander couscous, broccoli and a little sweet chilli sauce. Plus a pot of light chocolate mousse.
- Skewered veg with pesto. Thread 3 skewers with chopped veg – onions, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers. Brush with oil and grill. Serve on 150g pasta mixed with 2 teaspoons pesto.
- Stuffed pepper. Mix 4 tablespoon cooked rice with 2 chopped spring onions, 1 teaspoon toasted pine nuts, 2 chopped sun-dried tomatoes and 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Cut the top off a pepper and keep. Scoop out seeds and pith and discard. Fill the pepper with rice and replace its lid. Bake until softened. Serve with a range of vegetables.
- Brush a cod fillet (140g) with oil, sprinkle with lemon juice and grill. Serve with 100g oven chips and 4 tablespoon peas. Plus a sugar-free jelly with 2 crushed mini meringues.
Slim Sweet Treats, Choose One a Day
- 1 meringue nest with a handful of mixed berries and 3 tablespoon single cream.
- 1 Cadbury Creme Egg, Flake or Galaxy Ripple.
- 250ml of thick milkshake.
- 1 toffee yogurt.
- 35g of any type of chocolate.
- 2 chocolate digestives or 2 plain Hobnobs, plus 1 apple.
- 30g roasted salted peanuts.
- 30g Haribo and 1 small banana.
- 2 Cathedral City Selections sticks and 1 pear.
- 5 marshmallows and 1 orange.
E375 – Treat Yourself and Still Slim – diabetic.today